Saturday, June 28, 2008

Going Green...

Well, recently I've been inspired to gradually go organic. I've previously done SOME things organically, but not much. I've always been under the impression that it is too difficult, time-consuming, and expensive. Just this week I've seen that it doesn't have to be that way and that it can actually be the opposite (in most areas). I don't know if anyone watches the showJon and Kate Plus 8...it's one of my faves! Anyway, I watched a rerun the other night and was inspired to start with my cleaning products. I've always been bothered by the chemicals and the affect they could have on my children (not to mention my HANDS!); however, I just didn't know that I could really find a suitable alternative that wouldn't break our budget! The other thing that always hindered me from trying anything organic in cleaning was the fact that I was convinced that organic cleaning products could NOT do a job that would live up to my criteria in cleaning. Well, I've been proven wrong on both accounts! I went and bought a few staple items that are found in most organic cleaning products to get me started and walked out with only spending 10 dollars for quantities that will last me for months! THEN I went home and tested them on my house that was in need of a GOOD cleaning! I was fascinated to find that everything worked MUCH BETTER than any commercial cleaning products I have used at the store! Since I've just begun my experimentation, I will only tell you of the few I've tried so far. First of all, our master bathtub drain has never drained well from the day we bought our house a year ago. My long hair doesn't help any either. We've tried Drano and many other commercial products to fix it but have been unsuccessful! Well, I followed the instructions I was given and sprinkled a half cup of baking soda down the drain and then little by little poured a cup of vinegar down the drain. Once the bubbling stopped, I ran hot water for a few minutes and voila! For the first time, our drain is working perfectly! I was told to do this periodically to keep the drain clear and working properly. The next thing I tried was the All-Purpose Cleaner. This is made of 2 Tbsp. vinegar, 1 tsp. Borax (found in laundry detergent aisle in powder form), 16 oz. Hot Water, a few drops of dishsoap, and 10 drops of essential oil (optional only to add scent- I actually didn't do this but may try it in the future for fun). Mix ingredients in a spray bottle and use for anything you would use 409 for. I actually used this for our bathroom floor because our tile had gotten extremely discolored due to make-up and hairspray. No other cleaners helped at all, but this recipe worked like magic! At first skeptical, even Shane had to admit that it was amazing how clean the floor became after minimal effort! Anyway, I'm so pleased with the results that I just had to share! Next on my list of recipes to try: Dishwasher detergent, laundry soap, and fabric softener. I will certainly let you know how it turns out!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome! I am so WITH you in that I always think "too time-consuming and expensive..." AND I just saw a rerun of Jon and Kate, where they were recycling, and I was inspired as well! (though I haven't actually DONE anything about that yet:)

Unknown said...

Try ECO free and clear laundry detergent. You can get it at Costco. I got some from Amazon.com. It cleans very well, and I didn't have to use a drop (or sheet) of fabric softener. It is reasonably priced (more than my usual bargain brand detergent, but worth the benefit to Maggie's sensitive skin). I am gradually going green as I replace what I have with new products. I am doing it mostly for Maggie, but am happy with the benefits it will bring to all of us.

Theresa said...

Now that I know who LLOYD is... :) thanks for the tip, Rachel! I will have to check it out. My mom gave me a "recipe" for a laundry detergent that I plan to try, but we will see how time-consuming it ends up being. A mom of three (as you well know)can only do so much! :) I agree that "going green" is such a benefit to the little ones in the house. I think about the chemicals we have just sitting around, and it worries me more than a little. Please let me know if you find anymore products that are eco-friendly and reasonably priced! Thanks again!

Keeping Up With Xander

Lilypie Kids birthday PicLilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Cade's Chronicles

Lilypie Kids birthday PicLilypie Kids birthday Ticker

The Days of Hayes

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker